x Welsh Tract Publications: LETTERS FROM THE PAST #4 - WATTS COMSTOCK (1790-1876)

Translate

Historic

Historic

Friday, January 20, 2023

LETTERS FROM THE PAST #4 - WATTS COMSTOCK (1790-1876)

New Canaan, CT,


December 26th 1836

Dear Brother Beebe: It has been with much satisfaction that I have perused the last volume of the Signs, and I view it useful, not only for the many excellent communications contained in it but as a medium of intercourse by which saints who are so widely scattered abroad are enabled to commune with each other, in a way which tends much to their strengthening and comfort.

It was at an hour of great darkness and despondence, that the Lord was pleased to reveal to the prophet when he thought himself alone, and his enemies seeking his life, that he had reserved to himself seven thousand who had not bowed the knee, &c.; a circumstance to which my mind has often recurred, when through the medium of the Signs, I have found the number of our old fashioned Baptists so far to exceed my expectation.

I have seen our Baptist denomination, when they were few and despised, yet as a band of brethren, dwelling in unity - I have seen them become numerous, popular and proud, much respected by those who despised them, and have taken part in the endless train of societies unknown in the word of God, and falsely called benevolent - have become joined to the mockers of the present day, of whom it may be said, in the words of the prophet, "they provoke me to continually to my face - who, eat swine's flesh, and broth abominable things are in their vessels."  I speak of them as a body in these eastern states; yet there are those (and I trust to the number of 7,000) who have not bowed the knee, who are not joined to the idols of the day, but are valiant for the truth.

It is yet a ground of rejoicing, that amid all the tumults and over-turnings of this, our day; we can commit all the concerns and interests of the church of Christ unto him, who is King of Zion, and is able to subdue all things unto himself.

Yours in gospel fellowship,
Watts Comstock

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If an answer is needed, we will respond.