x Welsh Tract Publications: ELDER CHARLES POLKINGHORN'S TRIP TO FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF S.C.

Translate

Historic

Historic

Saturday, January 21, 2023

ELDER CHARLES POLKINGHORN'S TRIP TO FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF S.C.


Dear Brother Beebe, I little thought twelve months ago that I should ever communicate with you again on this side of the grave, but our heavenly Father has seen fit to continue my unprofitable life to the present with somewhat of renewed health and strength; altho' unable as yet to resume my labors in the Church over which I trust the Lord has made me an overseer.  Since my last communication I have been in several of the southern States, but unfortunately did not find any of our Old School Brethren: 

of the new they were plenty enough, they appeared to have overspread the whole ground over which I traveled.  On my route, I heard several Baptist sermons, but the only Gospel sermon I heard was delivered by a Methodist Preacher: his text was from John 3.3, "Except a man be born again he cannot see the Kingdom of God."  In the discussion of the text he held forth the doctrine of the total depravity of all mankind, the absolute necessity of regeneration by the Spirit of God, nor did he forget to set forth the divine sovereignty in the gracious act, and then closed his remarks, not by urging men to make their peace with God by doing good works they are totally unable to perform, but by a solemn declaration that they could not see the kingdom of heaven until they were born of the Spirit.  I was surprised to find this man in such bad company, but my surprise was soon moderated when I reflected on sermons I had lately heard from those of whom we should hope for better things; and from what I have heard I could not resist this conclusion, that the New Lights or Fullerite Baptists have sunk deeper into the pit of error and corruption than any of their dear Wesleyan Brethren.  For instance: I had just left Charleston S.C. where I went to the Baptist Meeting; the first thing that my eyes were the Preacher, Mr. M., [Basil Manly Sr.]arrayed in his black gown, bib, and tucker, and on the opposite side an organ with singing men and women; everything to please the eye and charm the ear; but however such fooleries are unbecoming the pure and spiritual worship of the exalted Lamb of God, it was far less objectionable than the discourse which was delivered.

The discourse to which I am now alluding was founded on Col. 3.1, "If ye then be risen with Christ, set your affections on things above" &c. Now what I wish more immediately to refer to, was. declaration made in these words: (which if made by any of is Old School Baptists, would be sounded from Dan to Beersheba as the quintessence of Antinomianism,) "That the pleasures of the world were not all inconsistent with heavenly-mindedness," and altho' he made some general remarks respecting the christians rising above the pleasures of the world, the impression left on my mind, and I think must have been left on the minds of the congregation, that the pleasures (sinful pleasures certainly must have been meant) could not be inconsistent or detrimental to the Christian as it regards heavenly-mindedness.  The second proposition I do not object to viz.: "that the business of the world" &c.; but these gentlemen generally (I argue from their conduct) suppose it rather beneath their dignity to meddle much with its business however they may like to indulge its pleasures.  How few alas can say with an Apostle these hands have ministered to my necessities and those that were with me.

The next discourse I heard was delivered by a person residing in the vicinity of Beaufort S.C. by the name of Mr. F. [Richard Fuller] I had an intimation of his coming to Charlestown; it was stated to me that he was a very extraordinary character; zealous, eloquent, sound in faith, bred a Lawyer, connected with the first families in the state, and to crown all the he was worth 100,000 dollars.  Whatever effects such things produce in the world as it regards raising their curiosity and that of carnal professors, I must say that I expected but little.  But a general exception was raised and trumpet (newspapers) was set agoing.  Whether it ended in anything but an Abortion as all such doings terminate I think will have fully appeared before this.

But now for the sermon.  His text was taken from Isaiah 53: "He shall see the travail of his soul and be satisfied."  His divisions were 1st The travails of the Redeemer's soul; 2nd That he should see of the travails of his soul and be satisfied.  How?  first in the promulgation of the Gospel all over the world, and secondly, That God should be glorified thereby.  Not one word as it regards the efficacy of the Redeemer's soul travail in securing his Church, the bride the Lamb's wife from the effects of her transgression, or of her certain exaltation to glory; and had he done so it is true, his cooing and wooing and beseeching sinners to lay down their weapons of rebellion and give their hearts to the Lord, with which he closed his discourse would have appeared with a very bad grace.  How Mr. F. can clear his skirts of handling the word of God deceitfully I know not. Should these remarks meet his eye I pray the Lord to give him repentance unto the acknowledgment of the truth; and that he be brought to see the vast difference between the glorious Gospel of the ever-blessed God, and the other Gospel, falsely so-called, whose general outline in yea and nay, do and live, exhortations, contradictions and overtures to dead men to perform living acts.  From the above remarks, I think my Brother you will be ready to conclude with me that the Methodist Preacher to whom I alluded would gain nothing by exchange of communion, from Wesley to Fuller - it would be from bad to worse, or to give a homely expression, it would be out of the frying pan into the fire.

O that the Lord would say to Zion, "Shake thyself from the dust; (false doctrines) arise & sit down O Jerusalem alone; loose thyself from the bands (traditions and commandments of men) of thy neck :O captive daughter of Zion."

I remain your unworthy Brother in Christ,
Charles Polkinghorn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If an answer is needed, we will respond.