x Welsh Tract Publications: KEACH: AN ANSER TO MR. MARLOW'S APPENDIX 1/2

Translate

Historic

Historic

Wednesday, July 5, 2023

KEACH: AN ANSER TO MR. MARLOW'S APPENDIX 1/2



AN ANSWER TO Mr. Marlow's Appendix.

Wherein his Arguments to prove that Singing of Psalms, Hymns, and Spi­ritual Songs, was performed in the Primitive Church by a Special or an Extraordinary Gift, and therefore not to be practiced in these Days,

Are Examined, and clearly Detected.

Also some Reflections on what he speaks on the word, Hymnos: And on his undue Quotations of divers Lear­ned Men. By a Learned Hand.

Psal. 119.141. I am small and despised: yet do not I forget thy Precepts.

1 Cor. 14. 22. Wherefore Tongues are for a Sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them that believe.

By B. KEACH.

London, Printed for the Author and sold by John Hancock in Castle-Alley on the West side of the Royal Exchange, and by the Author at his House near Horselydown in Southwark. 1691.

To all the Saints and Churches of Jesus Christ, Christian Salutation.

Honoured, and Beloved;

It grieves me I have further occasion to trouble you after this manner: I know not what should move Mr. Marlow to write his Appendix, just at a time when he was told I was writing an Answer to his first Discourse: he might have had a little Patience, and have staid till my Treatise was published, whereby he might the better have perceived, whether what he wrote the last year would abide the Test or Trial of God's Word or not: This is, therefore, his second Attempt in publick against God's holy Ordinance of the singing of Psalms, Hymns, &c. before anybody appeared visibly to oppose, or put a stop to his undue Proceed­ings. For what Call he had to begin this Con­troversy at such an unseasonable time, I know not; but since he has done it, certainly none can see any just cause to blame me for standing up in the Defence of that Truth of Jesus Christ, which I am so well satisfied with, and esta­blished in, and that too as it is practiced by the Church, to whom I am related as an unworthy Member, and above twenty Baptized Congre­gations besides in this Nation. Though before I went about it, I offered my Brethren (him or any other) a sober and friendly Conference in the Spirit of Meekness, which I could not obtain, tho I did not give such a publick Challenge as my Brother intimates in that strange Epistle he hath wrote to me; but upon the coming forth of his Book, I was troubled and would have had it discoursed in the General Assembly, but that was not consented to; and then I told my honored and Reverend Brethren my purpose was to give an Answer to his Book, but did not enter upon it till I was urged by several, and particularly by Mr. Marlow himself, before divers Witnesses, in such kind of words as these, i. e. Answer me like a Man. Whether he is answered like a Man, or but like a Child, is left to your Consideration, 'tis done according to that Light and Ability God hath been pleased to bestow upon me.

But if he, or any of his Helpers, do see cause to reply, they must answer such Per­sons who have written upon this Truth, like Men, and Men too of great Parts, Learning and Piety, or let them not trouble me nor the World anymore. As touching his Epistle to the Churches, I shall take but little notice of it, nor of that he hath writ to myself, sit in my Judgment, neither of them signifies much; you are Men of greater Wisdom than to be frightened out of an Ordinance, or de­terred from seeking after the Knowledge of it, with these scurrilous Names of Error, Aposta­cy, Human Tradition, prelimited Forms, mis­chievous Error, Carnal Forms, Carnal Wor­ship, &c. These are hard Words, and do not bespeak a trembling Heart, nor a humble Spirit, and better becomes a Man that pretends to Infal­libility. But what some Men want of sound Ar­guments, they think to make up by hard Words and Confidence; but this will never do with you. How hath our Practice of baptizing Be­lievers, &c. been branded with the reproachful Name of Error? and 'tis very observable how some Men of far greater Parts and Ability than my Brothers or mine, either have cried out a­gainst the Reign of Christ, Conversion of the Gentiles, and calling of the Jews, as a gross Error, as witness Mr. Richard Baxter parti­cularly of late. 'Tis Arguments I know you look for, and if you find those of Mr. Mar­low's to prevail against what I have said, do not regard what I have written in the least; for I would have your Faith (as the Apostle speaks) to stand in the Power of God, and not in the Wisdom of Man. The smallness of the Num­ber of our Churches who are in the Practice of this Ordinance, I also know will signify no­thing with you, provided it be proved to be a Truth of Jesus Christ: What tho there was not one of our Churches that had Lighted in it, it would certainly the more concern them to enquire after it. And tho he hath so course saluted me, &c. yet I am not concerned at it further, than to bewail his Confidence and Ig­norance, to say no worse, I know no Men in any Age, who appeared first to vindicate a Truth, which others call an Error, but have met with the same Usage I meet withal from our Brother; who, I hope, is a good Man, and means well, yet is he strangely beclouded. As I have been a Preacher up of Spiritual Worship (as he says) and that too more than thirty Years (tho a poor and unworthy one;) so through the Grace of God, I hope shall conti­nue to do unto the end of my days; and 'tis only Spiritual Worship, you may perceive, I plead for, in contending for singing of Psalms, Hymns, and Spiritual Songs, none of which three can be without their special and particular form. But must they need to be therefore carnal and humane Forms which appertain unto them? I see 'tis time to stand up for the Form of Ordinances, for the Form of Doctrine, and for the Form of sound Words; for if we must part with the singing of Psalms, Hymns, &c. from his pretended Arguments about Forms, all external Ordinances must go as well as that of Singing: In a word, we must give up our whole visible Profession, and wait for those ex­traordinary Gifts of the Spirit that were in the Primitive Time, if we must not sing till we have that extraordinary Gift to do it, which some had in the Apostles Days, and the like in discharge of every Gospel-Ordinance, which were to abide in the Church to the end of the World.

He may as well therefore say, I do but coun­terfeit that excellent Gift in Preaching (when I preach) which was in the Primitive Gospel-Church, as thus to charge me in the case of our singing by the ordinary Gifts of the Spirit: Read his Epistle to me, Append. p. 15.

It seems to me as if my Brother does not un­derstand the nature of Moral Duties, or natural Worship, but mistakes, and thinks natural or moral Worship must need to be carnal, tho we never plead for the performance of any Duties that are moral naturally in themselves, without the help and assistance of God's Spirit, and the Graces thereof in our Hearts. Is it not part of natural Religion and Worship, to fear God, to love God, and trust in God, and that too with all our Hearts, and with all our Souls, and with all our Strength, and love our Neighbours as ourselves? &c. These Duties appertain to na­tural Religion; yet without the divine Help and Influences of the Spirit, we can do none of them in a right manner; no more, say I, can we pray, nor sing the Praises of God, which are Duties comprehended in our fearing, honoring, wor­shipping, and loving of him. And whereas Mr. Marlow reflects on me, as if I singled out myself more than others in London, in pushing on this practice of Singing. I must tell him, I have an abundance of Peace in my Spirit in what I have done therein: And if our People (I mean, the Church to whom I belong) are one of the first Churches of our Persuasion in this City, found in the practice of this Sacred Or­dinance, I am satisfied it will be to their great Honour, (and not to their Reproach) and that not only in succeeding Ages but also in the Day of Jesus Christ.

But, blessed be God, the greatest number of our worthy London-Elders are as well satisfied in this Truth as my self, and many of their People too, and will generally, I doubt not, in a little time getting into the practice of it. Our Reverend Brother Knowllys 'tis known is clear in it, and has practiced it for some years, though at present 'tis not used in his Congre­gation. He told me lately, he is about to write in Vindication thereof, which he in­tends to publish in a short time if the Lord please spare his Life.

And whereas Mr. Marlow affirms, as if I had brought Singing into our Congregation, to the grief and trouble of many of our Mem­bers; it is false, for 'tis known the Church hath been in this practice near twenty Years after Breaking of Bread, and near 14 Years on Thanksgiving-days in a mixt Congregation. And what was done of late in bringing it in af­ter Sermon on the Lord's Days, was done by a regular Act of the Church in a solemn man­ner: And though some of our worthy Brethren and Sisters are at present somewhat dissatisfied with it, yet I doubt not but will in a little time see their Mistakes if such busy Men as he does not in an undue manner blow up Coals of Contention amongst us.

Can any sober Christian think he hath done well to publish the Private Affairs of a Par­ticular Church to the whole World? It seems to some as if he has hopes there will be a Breach in the Church, upon the Account of our Sing­ing the Praises of God; but I hope he will find our worthy Brethren understand themselves better than to go about to impose on the Church or Consciences of their Brethren, or to strive to pull down that which the Church and themselves too, have been a building for so many years. Can there be a Man so left of God as to countenance any Per­sons to make a Schism in a Congregation, be­cause they cannot forgo a Duty they have so long been satisfied in the practice of, and so the whole Body to submit to the Sentiments of a few Persons, as if they had Power over our Faith? We do not say our dissatisfied Brethren shall sing with us, or we will have no fellow­ship with them; no, God forbid we should impose on their Consciences. We do not look upon Singing, &c. an Essential of Commu­nion; 'tis not for the being, but for the com­fort and well-being of a Church. We have told our Brethren (since we sing not till after our last Prayer) if they cannot sing with us, nay, nor stay with the Church whilst we do sing, they may go forth, and we will not be of­fended.

Should any countenance, through a hot and unaccountable zeal, such a Schism, it would make strange Confusion in our Churches. And since he thus publicly hints at this private Case amongst us, I had I thought a clear Call to open the matter plainly as it is, to clear myself and the Church, to all who may read his Epistle and this my Answer, for we have done nothing we have the least cause to be ashamed of, or unable to justify in the sight of God or Man.

I shall add one word to the consideration of the Brethren of our Church, I doubt not but they will consider it.

1. If they look upon us equal in knowledge and Uprightness towards God with themselves, they may see we have the same ground to be offended with them in diminishing from God's Word, as they may be with us, for adding (as possibly they think) to God's Word.

2. And let them consider 'tis a horrid Evil to break the Bond of Spiritual Union, and un­awares to wound the Body of Christ.

Whose Work is it thus to do, but the Devil's? and what a reproach does it bring upon the Truth? and how grievous is it to all truly Godly Ones, and grateful to the Enemies of our Sacred Profession? Besides, upon such a trifle, can it be so heinous a Crime to be found often in that Duty, which they with us have so often and long been in the practice of, and in a mixt Assembly too, many and many times? Besides, brought in by almost a unanimous Agreement in a solemn Church Meeting, there being not, above five or six that showed any public dissent, nor they neither signifying any such dissatisfaction, i.e. that if we sang at such Times, they could not bear it; nor do I hear they do desire us now to decline the said practice. Love will cover a greater Fault than this, for they may see cause to believe 'tis not Self-Interest, but the Glory of God we wholly aim at But to return.

The truth is, I wonder any should be ta­ken with his Book, for I never saw anything come out in Print upon any controvertible Truth, that has less of Argument in it, or more of Confidence. And 'tis not my Thoughts alone, nor more destruction Mediums made use of to the whole of the external Parts of Reli­gion. Nay, one told me very late, that one of our dissatisfied Members intimated to him as if our Bible was not true or rightly-tran­slated; and it seems to rise from what Mr. Mar­low hath asserted in his book about the word Hymnos. I feared that would be the Effect of his Attempt if Body regarded what he hath said upon that account.

But, pray, what Call has he to rebuke me, after this public manner, especially before the whole World? If I had done anything amiss in his Judgment in that Matter, I could wish he had had more Wisdom and Prudence or else left the Controversy to some more discreet and abler Pen.

I cannot forget the two Brethren that oppo­posed Singing the Praises of God and would not comply with the Church, (though they did not separate themselves from the Church) when first the practice of it was received amongst us nearly twenty years ago. One of them soon after brought a great Re­proach upon Religion by immoral Actions, and came to nothing, and the other sometime af­ter turned Quaker, and to my, Face denied the Resurrection of his Body, &c.

As to that way Mr. Marlow speaks of prai­sing of God in Prayer, without singing of Prai­ses, as being more suitable (as he thinks) to the ordinary Gifts of the Spirit. I must tell him, God's Word our Rule; and since God doth require his People to celebrate his Praises by singing Psalms, Hymns, &c. doubtless that suits as well with the ordinary Gifts of the Spirit, as such Gifts suit with Prayer, Preach­ing, &c. And I fear one day he will not be found able to give any good account of himself in his bold Attempt, in seeking to rob God of his glorious Praise by singing to him, as he hath enjoined us to do; nor do I fear, but through the Help and Authority of God's Word, I shall, in the Day of Christ, stand with Joy and Confidence before him, upon this respect, when possibly he may be ashamed, if he has not sincere Repentance for what he has done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If an answer is needed, we will respond.