FOR THE SIGNS OF THE TIMES.
Boone Co., Ia., March 22, 1845.
BROTHER BEEBE:—I feel unworthy to call the saints my brethren, and I am satisfied that if I am a saint, I am the least of all saints. I am surrounded by Arminians of every grade, who teach for doctrines the commandments of men, but being myself an Old School Baptist, and having been taught of God, that salvation is of the Lord, I cannot fellowship the doctrines which are propagated around me; and I desire, the Lord being my helper, to keep myself unspotted from all such doctrines. I seldom see a paper that is calculated to afford any comfort to such as are poor in spirit; they are generally calculated to feed the rich; but once in a while I meet with a number of the Signs, which buoy me up under my trials. We have a paper published here, in the West, called “The Western Predestinarian Baptist” edited by Elder Newport of Illinois, but it is too highly spiced with Parkerism to suit such School Baptists as take a correct view of the subject. The doctrine of a self-existent devil, and an extra production, was never heard of among Old School Baptists until about 1826. Is it not strange that the church should have been in ignorance so long, and that Elder Parker should have cast such a refulgence on the church in this latter day? This light has not emanated from the Sun of righteousness, but from a pantheon of Antichrist, to cause divisions in the church, as all other religious inventions of men are calculated to do
Another objection I have to that paper is that Elder N. is identified with Bethlehem Association, which stands, since 1837, excluded from Conn’s Creek Association. Three churches were at that time excluded for their Parkerism. I like to see those who profess to be Old School Baptists contending for Old School doctrines, and opposing all the new fangles and isms, which are constantly being introduced among us under the Baptist name. We should contend for the faith once delivered to the saints. I would rather look back several centuries, to find the truth, than to the present age; for the world in religious matters grows more and more corrupt in every successive generation.
As this Parkerite heresy has caused much contention and division among the Baptists, let us mark those who cause divisions contrary to the doctrine which we have received of God, and avoid them. In every age, since her organization, the church of Christ has been troubled by men of corrupt minds, who have introduced their heresies from various motives & strange to tell, they wish to palm off their new theories as belonging to the faith and order of the Old Regular Baptists. A counterfeit coin must be washed over with the true metal to make it pass currently, and so, we find the enemies of the truth are trying to gloss over their absurdities by calling them the doctrines of Old School Baptists.
Brethren, let us beware of all new speculations, and of everything which is calculated to mar our peace, and produce divisions in the church of God.
Let us mark down Fuller, Campbell and Parker among those who in the last days
have brought in heresies, and avoid such as propagate their false doctrines,
lest we be found bidding them God speed. The Baptist is the first and only church of God upon the earth,
and this is the reason
why she has always had so many enemies; and this
is the reason why so many wish to be called by her name; to take away their reproach.
She was never identified with the church of Rome or any of her descendants; nor will she ever
mix with churches of the world. The world loves its own: But the church is
hated by the world. Although the church is a little despised flock, she shall be brought through all her
conflicts, more than conqueror, “through him that loved, and gave himself for her.”
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting. If an answer is needed, we will respond.