x Welsh Tract Publications: FOR THE SIGNS OF THE TIMES. Big Redstone, Fayette Co., Pa., Jan. 8, 1841.

Translate

Historic

Historic

Wednesday, July 22, 2026

FOR THE SIGNS OF THE TIMES. Big Redstone, Fayette Co., Pa., Jan. 8, 1841.


FOR THE SIGNS OF THE TIMES.

Big Redstone, Fayette Co., Pa., Jan. 8, 1841.

DEAR BROTHER BEEBE:—Although I have had no personal acquaintance with you, yet I have become acquainted with you through the Signs of the Times, which I have read and with which we are well pleased. We were truly sorry that an impression should have gained currency through the Signs, that the Redstone association, as a body, had embraced the doctrine lately started concerning the state of Adam before the fall. It was not the association, but some individuals; and that too to us has been both wonderful and painful; but we hope the Lord will reclaim them. And we do really hope, brother Beebe, to publish that it is not the association; this I think would be a satisfaction to our beloved brethren, with whom I have been dearly connected fifty years; a people called, in this country, Regular Baptists; but in Europe Particular Baptists; the name, Old School, I am willing should be dropped.

Brother Beebe, I have, in my feeble way, borne my testimony for the dear Redeemer, between 40 and 50 years. First, a few years in Holston Co. I then moved to Connellsville, and had the peculiar pleasure of the church at that place five years; thence I came to this place, and have had the pastoral care of this church between thirty and forty years.—There I have experienced some pleasing revivals, and have been brought through some violent storms; but the Lord has helped us, and done great things for us. The members of this church are well united, and we enjoy peace and love, holding the precious doctrine of the gospel; nor do we know of but an individual, that has embraced the doctrine concerning the spirituality of Adam.—The brethren at this place that discontinued taking the Signs, did not do so from any dissatisfaction with the Signs; but for the want of an agent.

Dear brethren, there is a great deal at this time, called religion, that we think does not deserve the name. We are sometimes ready to use the language of the prophet: “Lord, they have digged down thine altars, and killed thy prophets, and I only am left alone, and they seek my life.” But the answer of the Lord assured the despondent prophet that he had reserved seven thousand that had not bowed the knee to Baal. And as the Apostle says, Even so at this time there is a remnant, according to the election of grace. The Lord will have a people to serve him, despite all the raging powers of men and devils. I often think, if I could not have a standing with the Regular Baptists, there is no other people I could unite with. I would to God that we who call ourselves Baptists might all live as lights in the world, live up to our profession, stand in defence of the gospel and contend earnestly for the faith once delivered to the saints.

I conclude, hoping the blessings of the Lord may rest on you and yours, and remain,
Your unworthy brother in the gospel,
JAMES FREY.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If an answer is needed, we will respond.