x Welsh Tract Publications: MY CHRISTIAN LIFE (SANTAMARIA)

Translate

Historic

Historic

Sunday, December 3, 2023

MY CHRISTIAN LIFE (SANTAMARIA)


I have read accounts from hymns and stories of the experiences of different Christians throughout time. Many of them are moving and dramatic. For example Paul’s experience. But I will try to relate mine lately. I have been through many highs and great lows with my Lord. Here is my present condition - ed.


Over the years among different bodies of Baptists, I have been advised to use certain means to ¨mortify the flesh¨.  Brethren I have found all these exhortations useless.  These efforts APART from the Spirit´s ENABLEMENT are useless endeavors of the flesh.  I find myself so alone from the main body of believers who seem to have the solution to their sinfulness by some action on their part.  For example, we should pray.  But what if I do not wish to pray,  Can I just turn prayer on and off like a faucet? For me, the answer is NO!  I cannot speak for other believers, I can only speak for my own experience.  But apparently, others have had this experience of mine!  Hallelujah!  Elder John Newton had this same experience as mine.  Examine this hymn with me brethren: "When first my soul enlisted my saviors’ foes to fight."  This is the natural reaction of any new and inexperienced Christian.  Even experienced believers who fall under the sway of their flesh will go in this direction (headed to severe disappointment).

Well-meaning, but Arminian friends like those of Job, (whom God rebuked), tried to heal my dilemma by advising me in this direction of works, or means of grace that one must do: Mistaken friends insisted I was not armed aright.  You see it was really very simple: apply the proper means and there will be VICTORY!  This was the same advice King Saul gave David: "So Saul advised David he certainly would fail; nor could his life be saved without a coat of mail.”  This advice David tried, thinking it logical through “logical consequence”.  But it did not prove sound advice: But David, though he yielded to put the armor on, soon found he could not wield it, and ventured forth with none.”

Against all the “logical” armor he could put on, something inside David (for sure the Spirit of God and not men) veered toward only a sling and 5 stones.  But there was a difference between David and all the other warriors of Israel, including King Saul.  He had faith, or more properly, God, who is the furnisher of all faith as a free gift, gave it to him: He fought the fight of faith; the weapons seemed but feeble, yet proved Goliath's death.”

Newton, like me, could have read this passage a thousand times.  Without the Spirit’s power to open the eyes of the blind, he could see nothing of the Spirit’s teaching in the passage. Had I by him been guided, and quickly thrown away the armor men provided, I might have gained the day”.  But this is as God willed to teach a lesson to the child of God.  Newton goes on, “But armed as they advised me, my expectation failed”.  So is the end of all fleshly-inspired actions.  They do not result in the glory of God until God himself shows us the futility of them (although this also is for the glory of God like in all things).  What happens when the “righteous” attempts of the works of the flesh meet with the one who inspires these works in us? Newton tells us: My enemy surprised me, and had almost prevailed.”

But there was another attempt on the part of the flesh.  Education!!  After all, if you read the Bible and learn Ancient Greek and Hebrew you will be “well equipped” to be a man of God!  Really?  Let us read Newton, he also understood this:  Furnished with books and notions And arguments and pride I practiced all motions and Satan's pow'r defied, but soon perceived with trouble that these would do no good; iron to him is stubble and brass like rotten wood.”  Newton thought he was making progress.  With his MDiv degree, his vaunted "knowledge (which puffs up), he soon found out what would really happen:  I triumphed at a distance While he was out of sight, he preached a good sermon, he spoke bravely, he challenged Satan. "But faint was my resistance When forced to join in fight: He broke my sword in shivers, And pierced my boasted shield; Laughed at my vain endeavors, And drove me from the field.”

My dear brethren, I sin daily, I lust, I refuse to give God ALL the glory, I do not pray at all for many days.  Despite this, I am MADE to realize by God's Spirit that I deserve none of God's love!  And my stony heart which once did not care about my sins is melted with me in tears that flow freely and my mouth is made to say out loud "Thank you for loving me; thank you for loving me". In my heart, the full love for Christ is made manifest, based upon the realization that I love him because he FIRST LOVED ME! There is no room for self-glorying and vain delusions as to who I am.  I am bared naked to be seen in all my sin and coldness.   And this brethren is what I believe John meant when he wrote that if confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive them. This is not some act of pharisaical contrition, it is the Spirit of God crying out through me!  When it comes to prayer, what is the point of uttering words apart from the Spirit's prompting?  When I am asked to pray, I utter words that are seen by most as prayer.  But if they are not prompted by God's Spirit they are man's words, and the skies are as brass in receiving them!  I am told to read my Bible.  But what is the point of reading the Bible if the Spirit does not open our eyes? Are we seeking encyclopedic knowledge of the Bible?  Satan had that knowledge when he quoted scripture to Jesus. Can the Bible itself reveal truth to us apart from the Spirit's opening the eyes?  NO!  It is a BOOK! If the Bible were enough by itself, then this verse would not be true: "And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not steadfastly look to the end of that which is abolished: But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart" II Cor 3.13-15) I seem helpless like all of God's children who discover the words of Christ in their hearts: "You can do nothing without me!".  What do to?  God has waited until the appointed right time to make his point deep in our hearts.  In desperation, we are MADE to pray!  Faith is given to us whether we want it or not!  Indeed, when the Spirit enables us, NOTHING CAN STOP US!  We "cry out to the Lord"!  And realize that we cannot, by our own power stand against him!  Newton understood this also: "Satan will not be braved By such a worm as I; Then let me learn with David, To trust in the Most High; To plead the name of Jesus, And use the sling of prayer; Thus armed, when Satan sees He'll tremble, and despair.

Some may call me an antinomian.  If this be the truth, and I act by the enabling force of the Spirit, and wait on God and not act on my own (not putting any confidence in the works of the flesh), then let it be said, I am an antinomian!

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting. If an answer is needed, we will respond.