x Welsh Tract Publications: SOT: I'D RATHER BE A HARDSHELL...

Translate

Historic

Historic

Friday, August 10, 2018

SOT: I'D RATHER BE A HARDSHELL...



I’d Rather Be a Hardshell

I’d rather be a Hardshell, than anything I know,

A band of lovely brethren,
They love each other so,

I’d rather be a Hardshell, 
Because in them I find A lovely happy people. 
AII of the same mind.

I'd rather lie a Hardshell, And with the gospel fed. 
Than to be king of England. With n crown upon my bead.

I’d rather in a Hardshell, And hear the gospel sound. 
Then to be the greatest statesman, That walked upon the ground.

I'd rather be n Hardshell, And suffer all reproach, 
Than to lie a railroad president And riding in his coach.

I'd rather lie a Hardshell, And suffer scorn and shame, 

Than to be a dandy preacher 

With D.D. to my name.

I'd rather be a Hardshell, 

And Bye from hand to mouth,

Than to lie all the right Rev. D. D's 
Either north or south.

I'd rather he a Hardshell,  And live on bread and Water, 
Than lo be a fancy preacher 
To please old Babylon's daughter.

l'd rather be a Hardshell. 
And behind the times. 
Than to have my pockets full of husks 
Feeding to tile swine.

I'd rather lie a Hardshell, 
And wear a ragged coat, 
Than lo be a swine feeder 
And a milker of the goats.

I'd rather be a Hardshell, 
And labor for my bread, 
Than to have all the gold of Ophlr 
To leave when I am dead.

I'd rather be a Hardshell 
The balance of my life 
Than to go down to Babylon 
To seek my master's wife.

I'd rather be a Hardshell, 
And with a little few, 
Than to lie a high-tide Baptist, 
Hunting something new.

I'd rather be a Hardshell, 
And grub for my living. 
Than to be always blowing 
About the spirit of giving.

I'd rather be a Hardshell, 
And live on locusts and honey, 
Than to be always a begging 
The poor folks for their money.

I’d rather be a Hardshell, 
The Bible for my guide, 
Than to Be the Czar of Russia, 
And all the world beside.

I'd rather be a Hardshell, 
And lie esteemed a fool, 
Than to be a false religionist 
Brought up in a .Sunday School.

I'd rather be a Hardshell, 
Even from my youth, 
Than to be brought up in a Sunday School 
And learn,to hate the truth.

I'd rather be a Hardshell. 
And see my children die, 
Than to send them to a Sunday School 
To learn to love a lie.

Hardshell, Hardshell, 
I glory in the name, 
I'd rather be a Hardshell 
Than to have Allpacha's fame.

I’ve been a Hardshell seven years, 
A Hardshell I'll remain, 
I want to live a Hardshell, 
I want to die the same.

I’d rather be a Hardshell 
Than to have all this world’s goods; 
I don’t want to be anything else, 
Nor couldn't if I would.

I'd rather lie a Hardshell 
And eat that Jiving bread, 
And these are the sentiments 

H. J. Redd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If an answer is needed, we will respond.