x Welsh Tract Publications: BESSIE DURAND EXPERIENCE

Translate

Historic

Historic

Friday, September 22, 2023

BESSIE DURAND EXPERIENCE


Mr. Benton L. Beebe Dear brother in precious hope:

The enclosed letter from a youthful sister in Christ has been read by me with tender interest, and I have asked that I may share it with our dear kind who read the signs. I will give a portion of our dear sister's reply.



“I was certainly glad to hear from you, but greatly surprised and humbled in regard to my letter. If you think it will be a comfort to any of the weak ones, I do not feel to withhold it, as I have often been comforted and strengthened by reading some of the experiences of the Lord's people. I have been dark and cast down for some time, past, and barren of anything that is spiritual, Until Monday afternoon when Elder White preached such a wonderful sermon. While listening to him, I felt raised above the things of time and sense and was again made to realize the blessedness of heavenly things. His text was from the first part of the 10th chapter of John. I was sweetly LED back to the time when I first heard that voice, which gave me peace and passes all understanding. But few and short are such seasons with me”.


I am sure this sweet story of her young life will find a response in many hearts And especially will be of interest to those who know her and who are so delighted with the experience of her mother, (Sister Drake) Which lately appeared in your columns. What can stir the soul to its very depths, like reading or hearing of the Lord's work in the hearts of his people, how he brings the blind in a way they know not, making darkness light before them, and crooked things straight? How he exalts the valleys, and makes low the mountains and hills? Such mysteries are beyond the reach of finite minds, and can only be fathomed by him whose way is in the deep, and whose footsteps are not known. What wonder must have filled the mind of that company on the banks of the great deep, when they saw the waters divide, making a path for them through the sea. Dismayed a little before at the approaching enemy, now they could sing, “The Lord has triumphed gloriously, He is my strength and my song, and has become my salvation. Who is like unto you, glorious in holiness, fearful in praises, Doing wonders?” 

Thus do poor sinners feel when they realize that an unseen hand has blotted out their transgressions, and covered all their sins. Well, do I remember when the supreme excellence of these things first dawned upon me, and I hailed the messenger of truth with delight. As the times drew near when the signs of the times were due, I grew anxious, And as the male appeared on a distant hill that would bring it to our door, I found my heart thrilling with glad emotion. The paper of my choice was soon unfolded and eagerly scanned. Often seeing my own thoughts expressed in the language of another would cause a great nearness of my soul to some I had never met. In reading How One Has Been Brought from Gloom to Gladness, and from the Power of Sin to Holiness, There seems to be an electric chord touched that vibrates from soul to soul. At times I would pause at the address, “dear brother B,” as these words conveyed to my mind a great brotherhood extending to the. Ends of the earth, A hidden tie, binding kindred spirits, a golden chain of love, uniting and cementing those of like precious faith. These sweet and wonderful things carried my mind unto many avenues of thought, indeed, it seemed for a time that they enveloped my whole being so that it was with a kind of surprise that I saw people engage in other subjects. I wondered how there could be room in the world for anything but kindness and love, union and sweet fellowship, for:

Jesus, all day long  
was my joy and my song 

Many whose comforting and instructive epistles of love were read at that time, with so much enjoyment, have passed beyond the hope of which they so sweetly wrote, and to its full fruition. They have laid down the pen for the golden Heart of praise. Morning hearts and vacant places are left, And all. How many sorrowful ones “long for the touch of a vanished hand, and listen for a voice that is still.” But that blessed restorer, Faith, points away from the broken home, to a home of bliss, from the church on earth, where sad truth, Sometimes discord enters, to the church triumphant, where there is no jarring note., but where all is harmony and peace, and:

Where every power finds sweet employ.
In that external world of joy

Coming out of “Great Tribulation,” they are clothed in white robes, bearing palms of victory, and echoing praises to their exalted king. “Blessing and glory, and honor, and power unto him who sits upon the throne, and unto the land forever and ever.” But the earth is not left without witnesses; There are still those who testify of the same precious truths, And those who continue to tell the old, old story, of Jesus and his love. In the ministry, but few fathers are left, And to those, the churches cling with loving reverence. We always hold more closely to treasures that we fear are passing from us. There are others who in full strength are by an unseen power, preaching the unsearchable riches of Christ, and telling of Him who shall be “hiding place from the wind, and a covert. From The Tempest; As rivers of water in a dry place, as the shadow of a great rock in a weary land.” And with instruction from on high, they are comforting the poor. In Zion with good tidings, saying, “He shall feed his flock like a shepherd, He shall gather the lambs with his arms, To carry them in his bosom.” I realized something about what I am speaking about while attending the recent associations in Philadelphia and at Hopewell. Others are also being raised up and manifested in this high and holy calling, both learned men and fishermen, all by the same power, which is not according to the wisdom of this world. Oh, how blessed are they who know this joyful sound?


I am now visiting my nephews, in our old home. He and his wife are members of the Lord's household on earth, to whom it is said, “Fear not, little flock, It is your father's good pleasure to give you the Kingdom.” The signs are still a welcome messenger here, where my father took them from almost a first volume, And when I first opened my eyes upon this fading scene, if I am not mistaken, where the sun of righteousness first dawned upon my soul, and my affections were fastened to things unfading. My way then appeared as shining light, that shines more and more into the perfect day. Since those early seasons of which I have spoken, I have passed through many changes, and walked much by night, when no light appeared, not even a glimmering star. Sometimes the stormy billows have come with threatening and overwhelming force, ringing, the cry out of the depths, “lead me to the rock that is higher than I,” and peace Has again Been spoken to the troubled water; At times apiece, that flowed like a river, causing a carefulness to walk softly, lest I should go astray again. The Lord has ever been faithful to His promises, and notwithstanding my base ingratitude and lack of submission to His holy will, He has showered blessings upon me, of which I am all unworthy, And I still desire to magnify His name, and through evil as well as good, report, to be a true follower of Him who was meek and lowly in heart, And though so far from realizing this desire, and I feel that to possess it is a blessing.


I just laid down my pen to read letters from my brother and sister Clarice, who have returned in safety from Canada, having had a pleasant journey in satisfactory meetings. They reached Otego in time to attend the meeting there last Saturday and Sunday, and I am delighted to learn that Brother Bundy has so far recovered to be able to be there and join in public worship again. How good the Lord is! “All that Men would praise His name for His goodness, and for His wonderful works to the children of men.” I send a greeting of love to your dear wife, and to all of your father's family, and household,


Affectionately your sister,

Bessie. Durand

Volume 66.16, July 7, 1898

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If an answer is needed, we will respond.