x Welsh Tract Publications: THE NEAR LOSS OF A CHILD

Translate

Historic

Historic

Thursday, March 2, 2023

THE NEAR LOSS OF A CHILD


Middletown. New York, October 27th. 1850.

With sensations of heartfelt gratitude and thankfulness to our covenant God. I placed before the readers of the signs a brief description of the sufferings and relief of my little son [Benton L. Beebe]. Who will be seven years old next March? For five years and 1/2, he has been suffering the most excruciating misery. From a urinary obstruction. And also an obstruction of the bowels. Myself being ignorant of the fact that children of so tender an age were subject to the horrible disease stone. I tortured him continually with medical prescriptions to no effect. At length being advised by her family physician, Dr. Winfield. I had him examined when I could hear distinctly the surgical instruments Then there was evidently no alternative for my child but to linger out a few miserable months, or perhaps years, and die by his nature, becoming exhausted through extreme pain, or submit him to the knife of the surgeon. My feelings on this heart-sinking occasion. I shall not attempt to describe. But suffice it to say that I gave preference to the latter course. The surgeon who officiated and dislodging the stone was Doctor William S. Halsey of West Town, Orange County, New York. Whose skill and kind attention I am confident. Could not have been surpassed.


On the 9th day after the operation, my child walked about the room. And on the 12th day, he rode 20 miles sitting on a seat of the carriage without fatigue or injury. Today is three weeks since, and he loved one for whom I was so anxious. Is quite well.


Impelled by feelings of humanity, I have written the above. That any who are suffering in a similar manner may be advised to have the cause removed, which is easily done by the patient. Being put under the influence of chloroform, he becomes insensible to the incision. The case of my boy was one of the most critical kind for the stone adhered. Therefore it required great perseverance and original skill in detaching it with safety. The space of time occupied and performing the operation. Was from 3 to 5 minutes. 


Mrs. Gilbert Beebe.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If an answer is needed, we will respond.