x Welsh Tract Publications: LETTER FROM SISTER IZOR 1850

Translate

Historic

Historic

Wednesday, February 22, 2023

LETTER FROM SISTER IZOR 1850


This is another typical letter from a sister in the Old School Baptist Churches. - ed.
Milton IN. November 8th, 1850.

Brother Beebe: If you will bear with me, I will again trouble you with my poor scribbling. For I cannot be still. I think the last four numbers of the Signs. Have been laden with more precious gifts than any I have read in a long time. I am glad the sisters have bestowed themselves so much of late. For I have a company, but when none of them write, I feel backward. As Sister Ely says, I feel like throwing in my might be it ever so small. If you brother Beebe get tired of my poor scribblings, I hope you will be so kind as to let me know, and I will try to make them fewer and farther between. I have lately been on a visit to Winchester. OH, and I think it was the most agreeable visit I ever made. We were received by the Brethren and Sisters in the kindest manner. And we had sweet communion one with another. They seem to be at peace and harmony, one with another. With few exceptions, I cannot help thinking that the hand of the Lord was in my going there. I attended our church meeting on Saturday. We had preaching on Sunday by Brother M. Morris, the pastor of the church, who is highly esteemed. By us all for his work's sake. On Monday evening, Brother S Williams preached here and on Wednesday evening at Summerville. On Thursday at 11:00 o'clock AM at Darktown. At all these places we accompanied him with brethren and sisters Childers. Mikzell, Gard and Taylor. Brother Childers also spoke at each time and place. He is a good old soldier of the cross and a father in Israel. On Friday we returned to Winchester. And brother Lot Southard preached there in the evening and was followed by Elder Childers. This made nine sermons I heard, preached in seven days, and all of a peace. Not a jarring note, not a link broken. It was a complete chain. Brother Southard is a very able young minister and highly esteemed for his work's sake.

Brother Beebe, I do think it is the desire of my heart to see peace and love predominate throughout design of God. To see the children of God all take each other by the hand in love and friendship. Indulging no. Evil, surmising yes. No. Biting or devouring of one another, giving no continence to error in any way or shape. Yet. Who have the care of the flock. Preach the word, feed the sheep and lambs, having your loins girded with truth and your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel. And when you have done all that is commanded, you say you are unprofitable servants, having done only what was your duty. For behold, the Kingdom of God is within you. Let there be no boasting. But walk humbly before God and before the church. That the world may see your good works and glorify God. I wish all who read this would read the 11th, 12th, and 13th chapters of Romans. For there. Find our duty laid down by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

Brother Rittenhouse. Has referred to the statement of the experience of Brother Manser. Where he said it seemed as though everything was praising God, and he believed that such was the case in the experience of everyone when they first find peace. I was like brother Manser. I judged all by myself. But there were many precious brethren and sisters who cannot testify to so great a deliverance. I often think my sins were so much worse than those of the others. Was the reason why my change seemed greater than theirs. For I really thought that purling Brooks. And the waving forests? The herds of all the fields and the birds of the air were all trying to praise the God of heaven and earth. Yet I do not wish to set up my experience as a standard for others. Neither do I think Brother Manser does. I was very much refreshed when I read his letter, and I wish many more of the brethren would also write.

The Signs. Come to me regularly and bring tidings of great value to me. Let me be what I may, whether I'm a child of God or not. I often doubt whether I am one or not, especially when I have a sight of my sins which still reign in this mortal body. But there is one thing that comforts Me. The Bible tells me that by this you know that you have passed from death to life. Because you love the brethren. And I know I do love them. Their God is my God. I believe the Old School Baptists. Are the people of God. And that he has loved them with an everlasting love. My desire is that I may live a Baptist and die a Baptist, and to be buried with the Baptists. My Redeemer was a Baptist, and if I love him, it is because he first loved me and gave himself for me. I am truly glad that we have the Signs. As a medium through which we can speak, often one to another, all the communications tell some of my past and everyday experience. I hope all who write hereafter will sign their names to their communications. So that we may know who they are, I desired much to know who wrote from Massanutten, Virginia, for I was much pleased. With the letter and was constrained to love the writer.

When I hear preachers calling on sinners to come up to the mourner's bench to get religion, I am reminded of him who took our savior up into a high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the earth. And told him if he would fall down and worship him, he would give them all to him. Alas! Like him, they have nothing to give.

As I believe that some of the readers of the Signs are my kindred according to the flesh. I will mention the names of my parents and grandparents. They were Old School Baptists and so were some of their children. But it is a long time since I heard from many of them. My father's name is Thomas Bartlett. And his father's name was William. He was from New Jersey. My mother's maiden name was Mary Holgate of Philadelphia. I take this method to try to find out. Whether any of them take to Signs. If they do, I would be glad to hear from them, either through the Signs or by the private communication. I know that I am trespassing, so I will stop. I hope you will excuse the length of this. Made a Lord keep you as in the hollow of his hand, and strengthen you by his spirit. For I am sure that your task is heart, and may the Lord let his mercy be upon us all, according as we hope. In him is the prayer of one whose hope, though very small. Is an anchor of her soul, both sure and steadfast.

Sarah H. Izor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If an answer is needed, we will respond.