x Welsh Tract Publications: DELIVERING THE TRUTH IN A "BAD SPIRIT"? 2

Translate

Historic

Historic

Wednesday, February 1, 2023

DELIVERING THE TRUTH IN A "BAD SPIRIT"? 2

These were two letters written by Elder Reed Burritt after Beebe's response.  It is clear that he still feels the way he did and is trying to apologize for the way he said it, which is the same complaint he had about the way Beebe attacked New School Baptists. - ed.

FIRST LETTER

Dear Brother Beebe: I think, to some degree, an apology is due to you, and especially to our brethren who have seen my coarse and homely letter, which I designed only as a private communication to you, and which I thought you would understand as such; but I perceived you headed it "For the Signs of the Times".  I think you will not find my manuscript dreaded; if you do I am very much mistaken.  I mentioned in the letter, that I had wished to write you on that subject, something for publication, but had forborne for two reasons; but the one I sent you I had not the slightest idea would be published.  When I wrote it I was not at all particular, (and perhaps not as much as I ought to have been,) about the language I used.  My acquaintance with you, and having once conversed with you on the same subject, and knowing that others also had; I just wrote in that plain blunt and familiar manner in which I would have talked, and had I been alone with you, and which I presume would have given no offense.  I am sorry indeed that you published it; but in the future, I think my ability will be sufficient to keep my private letters at home, or especially from Editors if they cannot go without being published.  I think however, there is a providence in it; it is among all things that work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.  I think it will to some degree convince you, that the truth may be communicated in an offensive and improper manner, as you seem to acknowledge, at least in part, that there has been some occasion given.  I expected after you received my letter, we should have learned, through your paper that you had received an admonition; and if you thought proper you might have mentioned the name of one from whence it came; and that you would perhaps have said something to your correspondents, and especially to Brother I.T. Saunders.

Whether it is because myself and others are wrong or not; so it is, we are often grieved on account of the manner and style in which even the truth is sometimes presented through the Signs; and it has often been the case with me, when I have found something in the Signs, I wished to show to my neighbor, I have not given him the paper, because there was something else in it that I did not wish him to see.  Because I cannot better it myself, does not prove that others should not.

Your in Christian fellowship,
Notwithstanding,
Reed Burritt


SECOND LETTER

Burdett, N.Y., March 25th, 1840

Brother Beebe:
(If I may be permitted so to address you) when I sent you my apology I hoped that it would come so near satisfying you, and our brethren in general, whose feelings were injured with that coarsed and blunt admonition that I sent you, that I should not be under the necessity of saying anything more about it; but I see by your last (6th) number, that something more is wanted.  I am very sorry that I have been the cause of creating such an unpleasant excitement and wasting so much time and room in the Signs, if indeed it is wasted: though I cannot charge it all to myself by any means, since all the communications I have ever sent you for publication I have designated that for publication, I think the very style in which it was written will convince thee, especially all who are acquainted with me.  It looks more like a fireside talk than a communication to be published.

As to the implication of blackguard upon the editor, or any of his correspondents, I did not suppose that anyone could understand that myself or any of our brethren had any disposition to so apply the term; and if all who are not Old School Baptists were of the same stamp as Mr. Waller, or the conductors of the "Banner & Pioneer," we should feel different many times from what we do when we hear them object to the Signs of the Times on account of the style in which much or its contents are written, but they are not.  The Lord has, no doubt, children in Babylon, or he would not say, "Come out of her, my people." and I think there are many judicious and respectable people who are not without some consistent views of right and wrong and who have not made a public profession of religion; and they are not so particular always how they express themselves, and if we could feel that they had no occasion given them, at least not so much, we should really be glad.

Brother Trott has in the fifth number touched the point in his reply to my letter, 2d page, middle column.  Now, my brother, for a further illustration, just compare the style in which Brother Trott's reply is written with that written by Brother Covington, (in the sixth number) who dwells in the torrid zone of the south and is so liberal with his fables.  Yet I very much doubt whether anyone is more fully agreed with the doctrine contained in the Signs than myself, and I do not think that I have been and still am thankful to God that it has been printed.  I think it has been said and still is the means of great good; neither do I wish, even if it were in my power, to change the editor for another.  And perhaps we require too much of him, "seeing he also is a man subject to like passions" with ourselves.  I also believe that it is our duty to "Put ourselves in array against Babylon, roundabout; shoot at her, spare no arrows; for she has sinned against the Lord."

I will mention one thing more and close.  The Editor, if I have understood him right, has always carried the idea that ruth could not be preached, written, or spoken except in a right spirit or frame of mind.  If such be his opinion we must continue to differ on that point.  And now, if it is necessary for me to say more to satisfy my brethren, and could I, consistently with my views and feelings, I should be happy to do so; but I do not know as I can.

I remain your unworthy (may I say?) brother,
Reed Burritt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If an answer is needed, we will respond.