x Welsh Tract Publications: “I Know the Thoughts That I Think Toward You” An Emotional Meditation on Jeremiah 29:11–14

Translate

Historic

Historic

Tuesday, August 11, 2026

“I Know the Thoughts That I Think Toward You” An Emotional Meditation on Jeremiah 29:11–14


“I Know the Thoughts That I Think Toward You”

An Emotional Meditation on Jeremiah 29:11–14


There are moments when the silence of God feels heavier than suffering itself.

We can endure much when we understand why it is happening. We can bear hardship when we can see the road ahead. But there are seasons when the future disappears from view. The prayers continue, yet circumstances do not change. The night stretches longer than expected. The door remains closed. The burden remains. What once seemed certain begins to feel distant, and the heart quietly asks, “Lord, have You forgotten me?”

Jeremiah 29:11–14 was spoken to people who knew that feeling.

These were not people standing at the beginning of an easy journey. They were captives. Jerusalem was far away. Their familiar world had been torn apart. They were living among strangers in Babylon, carrying memories of a homeland they could no longer touch. Many must have wondered whether their national story had ended, whether God’s promises had failed, and whether their suffering meant that God had abandoned them.

Then the Lord spoke:

“For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord…”

Notice what God does not say.

He does not say, “You understand what I am doing.”

He says, “I know.”

That may be one of the greatest comforts in all of Scripture.

We do not always know.

We do not know why the path turned suddenly.

We do not know why something we prayed for was withheld.

We do not know why one door opened and another closed.

We do not know why God permits some seasons to continue much longer than we thought we could endure them.

But our peace does not ultimately depend upon our knowing.

It depends upon His knowing.

“I know the thoughts that I think toward you.”

There is something profoundly personal in those words. God is not describing an impersonal providence, a cold machinery of fate moving blindly through history. He speaks of His thoughts toward His people.

The captives might have imagined that heaven had forgotten their names.

God tells them that they are in His thoughts.

Their circumstances said, “You have been abandoned.”

God said, “I am thinking toward you.”

Their exile said, “There is no future.”

God said, “I know the end.”

Their pain said, “Everything is being destroyed.”

God said that His thoughts were:

“thoughts of peace, and not of evil.”

That does not mean their present circumstances were painless. Babylon was real. Captivity was real. Judgment was real. Separation was real.

The astonishing truth is that God’s peaceful purpose existed inside a painful providence.

This is where faith is tested.

We often think that if God intends peace, the road toward it must feel peaceful.

But Scripture repeatedly shows otherwise.

Joseph reached the palace through a pit and a prison.

Israel reached Canaan through a wilderness.

David reached the throne through caves and persecution.

The disciples reached resurrection morning through the darkness of Calvary.

God’s final intention cannot always be inferred from the present appearance of His providence.

The captive may still be loved.

The afflicted may still be remembered.

The bewildered may still be guided.

The person sitting in darkness may still be standing directly inside the purposes of God.

The Lord continues:

“to give you an expected end.”

The Hebrew thought behind the expression carries the idea of a future and a hope—an outcome toward which God Himself is moving His people.

The captives could not see that end.

But God could.

That is the difference between divine providence and human sight.

We see the page.

God sees the whole book.

We see the moment.

God sees the conclusion.

We see what has been taken.

God sees what He is preparing.

We count losses.

God is working toward an end that has not yet become visible.

And sometimes faith consists simply in refusing to pronounce the story finished while God is still writing it.

Then something remarkable happens in verse 12:

“Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you.”

God’s promise is not merely that circumstances will change.

Something deeper will happen.

His people will pray.

The captivity that wounded them would also drive them toward God.

Their loss would become the place of seeking.

Their helplessness would become the birthplace of prayer.

Their distance from Jerusalem would teach them that God Himself was their true refuge.

There are prayers that prosperity rarely produces.

There are cries that emerge only when every earthly support has weakened.

There are depths of communion with God that are discovered when there is nowhere else to go.

We naturally pray, “Lord, change this.”

But sometimes God is doing something deeper before the circumstances change:

He is changing the one who is praying.

“Then shall ye call upon me.”

Perhaps they had called upon armies.

Perhaps they had trusted political arrangements.

Perhaps they had depended upon Jerusalem, the temple, their institutions, their history.

Now those supports had been stripped away.

And in Babylon, they would discover the astonishing truth that God could still hear them there.

No temple wall was required for Him to hear.

No geographical distance could shut Him out.

No empire could imprison prayer.

No captivity could prevent the voice of a broken believer from reaching heaven.

God says:

“I will hearken unto you.”

Not merely, “You will pray.”

But:

“I will listen.”

There are times when prayer feels like words disappearing into darkness.

Jeremiah 29 says they do not disappear.

God hears.

The trembling prayer is heard.

The confused prayer is heard.

The prayer interrupted by tears is heard.

The prayer of the person who barely knows what to say is heard.

The prayer whispered in a room where no one else knows the battle is heard.

The Lord does not require eloquence.

He asks for the heart.

Verse 13 reaches still deeper:

“And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.”

There is a difference between seeking relief and seeking God.

We often begin by seeking relief.

“Take this away.”

“Fix this problem.”

“Restore what I lost.”

“Give me the answer.”

“Open the door.”

And God, in mercy, often hears those prayers.

But there is a deeper work of grace when the soul begins to say:

“Lord, even more than an explanation, I need You.”

“More than escape, I need You.”

“More than the return of what I lost, I need You.”

“More than knowing tomorrow, I need to know that You are here today.”

That is where captivity can become strangely sacred.

Not because suffering is good in itself.

Not because pain should be romanticized.

But because God can use the very thing that empties our hands to teach us to reach for Him.

“Ye shall seek me, and find me…”

What a promise.

Not merely seek.

Find.

God does not awaken spiritual hunger in His people merely to mock them with permanent distance.

He draws them.

He teaches them to seek.

And then He gives Himself.

There is, however, a phrase that exposes the shallowness of casual religion:

“when ye shall search for me with all your heart.”

Not half the heart.

Not the Sunday portion of the heart.

Not the heart divided between God and a hundred competing idols.

“All your heart.”

Captivity has a way of revealing what owns the heart.

When everything else is removed, what remains?

When the applause is gone, is God enough?

When plans fail, can we still seek Him?

When answers are delayed, will we continue praying?

When the future cannot be controlled, will we trust the One who already knows it?

This is not the language of superficial religion.

It is the language of a soul stripped of substitutes.

Then comes one of the most tender declarations in the passage:

“And I will be found of you, saith the Lord.”

Those words deserve to be read slowly.

“I will be found of you.”

The God whom they feared had abandoned them had never lost sight of them.

The God they thought distant was preparing to reveal Himself.

The people who felt forgotten were being told that God intended to make Himself known to them again.

The greatest promise in Jeremiah 29 is not Babylon ending.

It is not merely returning to Jerusalem.

It is not simply restoration of land.

The greatest promise is:

God Himself.

“I will be found of you.”

There are times when we think the greatest answer to prayer would be the restoration of what we lost.

Sometimes God gives that.

But there is something greater than receiving the old life back.

There is discovering God in the place where the old life disappeared.

A person can lose much and still possess everything if, through that loss, he finds deeper fellowship with God.

And then the Lord says:

“I will turn away your captivity.”

God does not promise that captivity is permanent.

There is an end known to Him.

The door that closed is not necessarily closed forever.

The night has a boundary.

The wilderness has an edge.

The tears have an appointed measure.

The exile has a termination written into divine providence.

God says:

“I will gather you…”

The people had been scattered.

God would gather.

They had been carried away.

God would bring them back.

They had been displaced.

God knew exactly where each one was.

No nation was beyond His reach.

No distance was too great.

No scattered sheep was lost from His sight.

Notice the repeated divine action:

I know.

I will hearken.

I will be found.

I will turn.

I will gather.

I will bring you again.

The security of the passage does not rest upon the strength of the captives.

It rests upon the repeated “I will” of God.

That is where hope lives.

Not in our ability to understand everything.

Not in our power to arrange providence.

Not in our emotional strength.

Not even in the strength of our faith.

Hope rests in the God who knows, hears, gathers, restores, and brings His people home.

There may be someone who feels as though he is presently living in Babylon.

Not geographically, but spiritually and emotionally.

Life does not look like you thought it would.

You remember another season when things seemed clearer.

You have prayed for an answer that has not yet come.

You wonder whether the best days are behind you.

You may even wonder whether God’s silence means God’s absence.

Jeremiah speaks into that darkness:

God knows.

He knows where you are.

He knows how long you have been there.

He knows what has been lost.

He knows the thoughts He thinks toward His people.

And while you are trying desperately to understand the road, He already knows its destination.

So call upon Him.

Pray.

Seek Him.

Search for Him with the whole heart.

Not because your seeking forces God to become gracious, but because His grace is already drawing you toward the One who says:

“I will be found of you.”

The final word does not belong to captivity.

It belongs to the God who gathers.

The final word does not belong to exile.

It belongs to the God who brings home.

The final word does not belong to the darkness.

It belongs to the One who already sees the expected end.

And perhaps one day, looking backward from a place you cannot presently imagine, you will understand that even when you could not see His hand, you were never absent from His thoughts.

You thought you were forgotten.

He was thinking toward you.

You thought the story had ended.

He knew the expected end.

You thought your prayers disappeared into silence.

He was listening.

You thought He was far away.

He was teaching your heart to seek Him.

And when everything else had been stripped away, you discovered the promise hidden beneath all the others:

“I will be found of you, saith the Lord.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If an answer is needed, we will respond.